Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dr. Dog In-Store

Okay, I have to admit...they have a really stupid name. Worse than Casper and the Cookies. At least that sounds like an indie rock band. "Dr. Dog" sounds like a really lame (or "wack") rapper riding on the coat tails of Snop Dogg. Anyway, I went down to the Loop (for the third time this week) to Vintage Vinyl and saw the boys play live. It was 4:00pm on a Thursday...so you can imagine how many people were there. I let them play one song, hesitating on whether or not to film them. I mean...they were staring right at me. There were two dudes in front of me and about six other non-Vintage Vinyl employees there. But then they said they'd play "Die, Die, Die" (which, just to plug, I downloaded for free from the Minnesota Free Song of the Day Podcast) which I love. SO I reached into my jacket and whipped out the camera:



I felt really bad, beacuse right after they finished this kid came up and was like "Hey can I film you guys?" He had a really nice, super spiffy digital recording studio...of course they were like "Sure." I felt bad for not asking. But then my bad feelins went away as they started up their next song "Ain't It Strange." This song along with "My Old Ways" are quickly becoming my favorite from the new album. So here they are playing "Ain't It Strange" (which is going to be used in the movie version of FASTFOOD NATION):



They were awesome but cut their free set short because they had to get over to the Creepy Crawl (which they didn't even know where that is at...and I don't either). I wish I was going, but money is short in supply and I can only drag Leah to so many boring rock shows...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Die, Die, Die--You can tell Dr. Dog that thanks to you, some old-timer went right out and bought a CD.

Jason said...

Ha-ha...that's cool. It's a fantastic album, it hasn't left my player since I bought it Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Borders lists it on their inventory, but when I checked today--they were sold out of this new one already!

Jason said...

Go and pick it up at Best Buy. I go there to buy most, it not all of my CDs (and DVDs). The selection is better and the price is usually cheaper (new releases are always cheaper than places like Borders and Barnes and Noble). I checked online, according to the website they have it in stock at most of their KC stores, and it runs for about $13.99.

I'm glad they were sold out, though. Those guys deserve to make a little $$