Monday, March 05, 2007

I got the "101" again...

So I've written about this cool podcast from the Minnestoa Public Radio (Podcast of the Day). I don't know if anyone checked it out...but if you haven't, you really should. About a week ago I downloaded the new single "101" by Strokes guitarist Albert Hammond Jr. The ablum comes out tomorrow (I'm going to the Loop at midnight to buy it at Vintage Vinyl, where they stay open late on Monday nights so music junkies like me can buy all the new week's releases ASAP).

Anyway, the song was the today's free song of the day...which at first made me feel like an idiot. Once I got over the wasted dollar (then again, I did get to listen to it a week early) I thought "Hey, this podcast is better than even I thought." It's true. Then again the songs have been consitantly good. On Friday they offered up a local Minnesota rap group Mc/VI's song "Cold Check It!" (which Leah confirmed sounds like The Beastie Boys...the track rules they name check CITIZEN KANE and E=MC2). The day before was new stuff from the world's greatest (if you believe the hype) indie band Arcade Fire ("Black Mirror" it really is quite good). I'm going to go check out the free in-store on Thursday for Dr. Dog (whose track "Die, Die, Die" has been my most played MPR song). I was browsing RollingStone.com and they have their new album 4 out of 5 stars.

What's the point of all this? I guess MPR's Song of the Day Podast is going to be the new Paperbackswap.com (you know, the thing I constantly shill...because it's so fucking cool AND FREE!!!). It takes no money to get and will improve your musical taste GUARANTEED. After all, it improved mine.

Here it is again: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/podcasts/song_of_the_day/

No comments: