Saturday, March 03, 2007

Apples Rawk

Well it's 1:21 and I just got back from the concert. It was awesome! Me and Leah went down to the Loop at about 4:30. We got there so early because Leah had to put up flyer's for the Trauma Recovery Center (where she works). Then we went to dinner at a sub shop. This is where things got fucky.

So I go up to the counter and place my order (I have to go first 'cos Leah can't ever make up her mind fast). As Leah is placing hers, I happen to see that there is a black leather wallet sitting on the counter (where the girl behind the register can't see). So I do the right thing, I pick it up and give it to her. She's all "oh, thanks." So we get our food and sit down. A few minutes later this guys with an "fuck I just lost my wallet" look on his face comes in. I say to Leah, "I betcha that's the guy." It was. The lady gives him his wallet, and he picks up some food. I tell him I found his wallet (because I'm proud that I did the right thing, and I want everyone to know...I'm special like that). Then he leaves. We go back to eating. A few minutes later he comes back in and says something to the lady behind the counter. Then he comes over to our booth and is like "Did you happen to find $20 in my wallet because now it's gone."

And I'm like "What exactly are you accusing me of?" and he's like "I'm not accusing you, I'm accusing everybody." Luckily for everyone he left. Dipshit. That's the thanks you get for not screwing someone over. I could have pocketed the wallet and kept all his cards and stuff. But I didn't. Instead I did the right thing. I'm still poor. But now that guy thinks I'm a thief. Oh well. I should have stood up and fought the guy, but then I wouldn't have gotten to go to my show.

WHICH was great. The first band was started around 9:30 (like I said, we got to the Loop early). They were some local band, that apparently had 50 minutes notice before they got up and played (i.e. they are pretty small fish and were just okay). Bunny Grunt or something was what they called themselves (they never told us and when a couple of people called out "who are you?" (including Leah) the dumb asses told us THEIR individual names...not the band name...whatever). After that, Casper and the Cookies came on. Stupid name, good band. They were cool. The rhythm guitarist was like a gay Jack Black-type character. He had these long, fake lashes...and he was over the top. The lead singer, Casper (real name is Jason NeSmith) was pretty good (looked like an Italian Beatle). They played bright, cheery, sunny pop. Lots of hand claps and tambourines. I liked a couple of their songs--"Kiss a Friend" and "Hey Mr. Superstar" stood out (from their latest album THE OPTIMIST'S CLUB...that sums up the band right there really). Also, they have a cool song called "Krotenwanderung" which is all over the place. I'm a sucker for boy/girl pop bands, so they had me at 'ello. Being professionals, they also made a point in telling us their names (which was smart, because next time I find a penny I'm going to buy their album).

Then The Apples in Stereo came on (after a long break, as usual at these shows). The new songs were all great, I'm really excited about getting my hands on it (which I've decided to do tomorrow if I can make it to the in-store). "Energy" was the standout for sure. Then they played all the old songs I wanted to hear. I was shocked when they did "Strawberry Fire." It's basically their version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and like that more famous song...it's really complicated and I wouldn't have blamed them if they skipped it (as they did the first time I saw them in Columbia). Well it turned out pretty good really, though I think it did slow the show down a bit, I would have done it as an encore. "Tin Pin Alley" off of TONE SOUL EVOLUTION was another surprise (didn't play it last time). Then there was the standards: "Seem So", "Go!", and "Please." I wish I knew more of the new song names, because they were really good. The band all had awesome clothes too (a really lame thing to comment on, but they were great). The keyboard player had on a crazy silver space suit with these radical (that's right, I wrote "radical") glasses with blues lights on them...one of the guitarists had an awesome polka-dot shirt that was so mod it hurt (I wish I had something like it). Overall the new members have really improved the band's live act (sorry Hilary...ye shall be missed but the new guy is a better drummer). And I have to agree with Leah, only one girly-sounding vocalist is needed (lead singer Rob Schneider is pretty high in the 'ol pitch). They got on sometime just before 11:00 and we got out around 12:30. One encore. We all sang "Happy Birthday" to Shelly, and my friend/old dorm-mate Josh was there. A good time was had by all.

My hearing is shot to hell. Which is always nice. I'm sure one day when I'm old and can't hear shit I'll be pissed that young Jason loved going to concerts so much, but that's why they make hearing aids...right?

Oh, one other thing...is it sexist not to want your girl to get creamed in a mosh? Moshing, you all know, is that "dance" where you just beat the hell out of everyone else. I don't do it (I'm too big and strong...plus I would fall and kill someone). I don't really go to shows where a lot of it goes on (if at all) but there is always that one really drunk guy that wants to do it. I saw that our one guy was getting to close to Leah so I stepped in front of her...and I guess it pissed her off. After the show, on the way home she made me feel a little bad about getting in between her and him. SO internet...was I wrong to do this? Should I let some guy knock my fiance about? I'll let you all weigh in.

But regardless, it was a good time. I can't wait to do it all again (please, cool bands...come to St. Louis).

2 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

Im not made, I just dont want you to worry about me. Im a big girl and am strong enough to handle one mosher or even a bunch. but thank you for protecting me it was sweet

Anonymous said...

I've never been in a mosh--though students have invited me...One of my stepsons, Chris, a bigger than you guy, had his chest seriously bruised in a mosh--so my impression is that you can't be too careful. You were gallant--. I don't think females always recognize this in guys; they don't recognize that the guy's protective instinct is likely hardwired.