Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Bad Day

Well I wasn't sure it would be possible, but I think I may soon be posting on this blog even LESS than I am now (or at least...more sporadically). No, it's not because I'm working too much (I am) but because my laptop is dead.

Let me tell you about my day.

I woke up at 4:00AM, took a shower and was downtown by 5:30. I worked until 2:00PM (got a $28 parking ticket, despite assurances from my bosses that I was parked in a safe spot). Then I get home, turn my computer on...and it say: "Disk Error" then it tells me to "Press Control+Alt+Delete to Restart." So I do that, and it restarts...and I loop this about a dozen times. So, I boot it up and press F12 and start running the diagnostics--and I have a hardware problem. I don't know how serious it is, but I'm not paying anyone to fix my 4 year old laptop. I bought it 4 years ago, it's a DELL (read: cheap as hell). It was the cheapest laptop that DELL produced at the time (they have since discontinued to manufacture the model). In fact, my laptop is so old, that when that laptop battery recall/scare happened a year ago I was FINE!!! My laptop was made BEFORE the ones that were in the recall group. So, it's old.

I've been wanting to get a new one, I was hoping I could wait until I graduated. I really don't want VISTA. The two tech-y people I know are split on it. Jimu has no problem with it...while Leah's computer guy hates it and told us both to avoid it. I don't want an Apple. I love Apple as a company, but having a PC is great...if you don't know why, go look it up....I'm too tired to write.

Which is part three of my shitty day--you see, it isn't over yet...not by a long shot. Though I am tired, I can't sleep. In five hours I have to be back downtown for another overnight shift. Fuck.

That's about it.

I'm using my sister's Apple (speak of the devil) to write this. She's pretty cool about letting me use it, but if we have a falling out (Read: I piss her off) then she'll cut me off and I won't be able to get online...until, August when I move in with Leah and I have access to her laptop. And yes Leah, I haven't forgotten about my old Gateway in my closet...but that thing is 7 years old for one...and for two it doesn't have a wireless card--so I'd have to set it up in Amber's room (yeah right). Plus, that thing is loaded with spyware and such (I used to download music like crazy from AudioGalaxy (which, to show you how long ago that was...is now legit).

I'm not going to have a Friday Video Blog on Friday this week either. Even if my laptop magically came back to life, I'm working a straight 16 hour shift. I may record one and post it Thursday evening (if I can get my sister's Apple to play nice with my digital camera).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post scared me. I am teaching two classes totally online this summer. If my laptop pulled this stunt, I would be in a world of hurt and be driving 100 miles round trip to fire up the computer in my office. Can't really afford to do that with the price of gasoline.

Jason said...

Sorry to scare you Terri!!! Technology is a funny thing...you don't realize how important/much you use it, until it's taken away from you. I usually buy the cheapest thing...which I'm finding out isn't always the smartest thing to do (obviously).

With all my bills, gasoline, etc., I have no idea how I'm going to get another one. Here's hoping she's not dead yet...