Monday, June 11, 2007

Jason's Laptop R.I.P (2003-2007)



Well it's gone folks, my laptop is officially dead. I could probably pay and get it fixed, but the cost versus how old it is/how much a new one costs...well it just doesn't make any sense to me. Besides, this is the second major problem it's had this year, and the fourth problem in general. So, I'm going to have to start working hard in the coming weeks so I can buy a new one. My folks have offered to give me some money (my B-day is June 23 BTW).

In the meantime, I can use my sisters computers (ironic that they have working computers because neither really uses them...):

My sister's eMAC



Enjoy the video blog:



UPDATE: So I gave up and bought a new computer today online, from Dell. Here's the specs---

Inspiron E1505, Intel Core Duoprocessor T2350 (2MB/1.86GHz/ 533MHz)
15.4 Inch Wide-screen WXGA Display for Inspiron 6400/E150
1GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for Inspiron 6400/E1505
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory, for Inspiron 6400/E1505
80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
Image Restore
Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, English, for Inspiron
Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
Windows Media Player 10
Dell Support
Icon Consolidation Application
Internet Search and Portal
Backup media for XP Home
Thank you for choosing Dell
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, for Inspiron
24X Combo CD-RW/DVD for Inspiron 6400/E1505
Sonic Digital Media, v7.0, forInspiron
Integrated High Definition Audio, Inspiron
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps), for Inspiron 6400/E1505
Norton Internet Security 2006 90 Day Trial,OEM
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 6400/E1505
MS WORKS 8.5
1 Year Limited Warranty
No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
Dell Hardware Warranty Plus Return To Depot, Initial Year
Type 12- Mail-InService, 24x7 TechnicalSupport, Initial Year Warranty Support,Initial Year


I know it's not the greatest, but the price was right. Also, I don't use my computer to play video games (I'm a console man). All I need is a computer to word process/surf the Internet really. I really don't want MS Works(that really sucks), but luckily for me I still have my MS Office software my parents bought me for X-mas a few years ago. I wouldn't wish Works on my worst fucking enemy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that happened with my laptop when I was in the middle of a rewrite of Maternal Soldier (which didn't get purchased due to an editorial change over at Asimov's) back in 2004. That is part of why I transitioned to the longhand/transcribe method.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Trapped in Missouri Again

Dave said...

I dunno... That seems like a pretty nice spec.

The real question is, how much data did you lose?

Anonymous said...

yeah thats a really nice laptop.. those specs will run alot of games out right now and for a few years to come.

you have 2 processors and a gig of ram. thats pretty sweet.

can I ask how much you payed?

Jason said...

Murph- That really sucks!!! I used to not do the whole "longhand" method...but recently (past six months) I have returned to it for various reasons. I'm glad I did.

David- How much data? That's a good question. Well, not all THAT much because it had a meltdown about a year ago (and I lost a lot). Since then I've been backing my stuff up pretty often. I'd say I lost about $20 in iTUNES purchases...and about 300 digital photos. That sounds like a lot, but remember...I take a TON of pics, and most are crap. This blog (along with my YOUTUBE account) actually saved all the really good pics/videos I had.

Jimu- I paid $864 for it. I dunno, I guess you guys are right...but i wish I could have gotten a really kick ass system. Everytime I have to buy a new computer (like when I buy a car) I always find myself getting less than I want.


But as the Stones once sang, "You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometimes, well you just might find...you get what you need." Oh yeah.

Lrgblueeyes said...

you lost the pictures i didnt even think of that :(

Anonymous said...

the pictures may be lost but they might be able to be salvaged check with davu and see if he can do it or if you need to take it somewhere else.

as far as not getting a killer machine,
I had 2 friends who wanted new laptops. One went to Alienware, a place for razor's edge top of the line laptops. and because of keeping up with the Joneses, the other one went there too.

Both laptops had heat problems so much so that one of them had it start to smoke and die. the other one became flakey.

moral of the story, sometimes when you are on the cutting edge of technology it cuts deep.

Jason said...

Yeah the pics are gone...I erased the hard drive. I tried just doing a regular re-install of windows, but for some reason it wouldn't work. SO I decided to just wipe the C-Drive (which was partitioned, and I think doing that may have caused my problems--putting in the partition that is). Once I did that, I was able to re-install Windows...and for a little bit it seemed like it was going to be fine.

Then it died on me. So I went to bed, next day it wouldn't get past that same black screen pic I have posted.

I DID back up a LOT of my stuff before I moved out of the dorms. I lost NONE of my writing and NONE of the really important pictures (i.e. Hawaii). I did not back up my videos, but like most of my most recent pics...all the best are preserved here on this blog.

Anonymous said...

I'll see you Thursday!!! 1722 Main.

Jason said...

I'll see you there Terri. In fact, I'll probably be there fairly early.

Lrgblueeyes said...

yeah but most of the pictures of you are on the blog. Remember you didnt want to leahfy your blog too much. Which means mine are gone.

Jason said...

Don't worry...I'll take more of you!