Sunday, June 24, 2007

Boring 2 Days and My Birthday

Well Leah is gone. I miss her already. Today begins my weekend...and she had to leave. I'm bummed because I didn't get to spend very much time with her (and we really didn't do anything). Well, nothing I can really write about here.

Yesterday was my "Friday"at work...and it was my 24th birthday. I got off work at 7:00AM and went to sleep. I woke up early for my birthday "party." Me, Leah, and Lindsey had a mini-movie marathon (we only got through 2 movies). We watched the original 1978 SUPERMAN and BATMAN BEGINS (the theme was comic book movies). We were supposed to watch GHOST RIDER (looks terrible, but Amber keeps raving about it), but alas SUPERMAN is nearly 3 hours long...and I had to go to work.

My mom cooked a really nice dinner, and Leah made me a Pineapple Up-Side-Down Cake. Lindsey and my dad made ice cream...it was nice. I got a CRAP LOAD of CD's for my birthday (which almost never happens). The reason for that being, I buy so many CD's everyone usually gets me something else. But, as you all know, I'm not really financially able to purchase new music...so that was pretty much all I wanted. I got the new White Stripes album--I listened to it on the way home from work this morning...it's fantastic. If you have a spare $10 go pick it up (expect a review later this week).

Leah bought me a couple of back-issues of Detective Comics (which is a Batman book) and the latest Hellboy. I spent about 2 hours last night in some guys cubicle reading them (thank you Leah). I started reading again at work. I'm so sick of being the only person that actually DOES HIS ROUNDS...so I gave up and joined the larger, loafing community. Now I spend about 1/2 my night reading. I read THE FACTS OF DEATH by Raymond Benson. Yes, it's a cheesy James Bond novel. Yes, as an English major I should be reading better...but you know what? After 9 months of reading "literature" I wanted to read about guns and fucking. Thank you Mr. Benson.

I'd read it before, way back in High School (at the height of my Bond-mania). At the time I thought it was great, now...not so much. The villain(s) were lame. Their plot was lame (and made no sense). Plus, I counted two large (like Hummer-sized) plot holes. How do these things get published in such a state? That's like the typos I found in John Grisham's A PAINTED HOUSE. Those guys make SO MUCH MONEY...and yet they still have simple typos.

Heads should roll.

Benson doesn't write Bond novels anymore, but he did write a lot of them. I like them (yes I still like them) because they're nice "popcorn reads." Light, fluffy, and of no nutritional value. Benson's a huge fan of the Bond series (both original novels and films). What's cool about his books is he merges both the movies and the original Flemming novels (with the Flemming novels trumping the films when discrepancies occur). As some who has read all the Flemming novels (and who owns all the films...even the really bad ones) I find this very satisfying.

Now that I'm done with THE FACTS OF DEATH I'm going to start THE DARK TOWER books my friend Paul is always trying to get me to read. I'm hesitant to read anything by King when I'm all alone at night...but what can ya do?

I have the next two night off...and I have no money and nothing to do. I guess there's always Guitar Hero! I'm sure I'll post a few dozen times here to kill some time. I have a bunch of album reviews/random posts I've been wanting to make. I also found some pictures from my trip to Oahu from 2 years ago...maybe I'll post them tomorrow (God I wish was there right now).

*sigh*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you need a little blood and guts with your high minded literary fair.

Least that is my take on it. :)

Happy B-Day, man.

Oh, the Zoo called back so I don't know about those free WOF tickets now. But maybe I'll have free Zoo tickets instead. We'll see.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Northtown, Missouri

Jason said...

Ha-ha!!! That's great, I hope you get that zoo job. I really think that one will be cooler. I can't imagine you as a ride-monkey...