Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Sun and the Moon





WOW. Ever have that friend who one day decides to "grow up" and actually do something with his/her life? Yeah, me neither. But pretend for a second that New York New Wave/Disco/Retro/Rockers The Bravery aren't a band but actually you're loafing friend. Well two years ago, they put out their self-titled debut...and it was good. People complained that it was a little late coming (The Killers beat them to the retro '80s punch), but I enjoyed it. I saw them in concert a few months later...other than lead singer Sam Endicott's stupid faux-hawk I had no complaints.

Did I ever expect to hear from them again?

No, I did not.

Did I ever expect their second record to be an amazing leap forward?

No, I did not.

Basically, The Bravery is that friend who cleans up/picks him/herself up and makes something of life. They could have just re-recorded the first album and dopes (like me) would have bought it. Instead, THE SUN AND THE MOON is a brilliant transition to bigger and better things. The album works as both a concept album AND a bridge to a new musical identity. The first half of the album is what the first record was: dark, synth-heavy '80s pop (think Joy Division). Edicott howls and snarls, there is a thumping bassline, and they let the synthesizer fly.

Now, as best I can figure...that's 'the moon,' and it's dark as night (unless "Every Word Is A Knife In My Ear" is supposed to be a 'happy' or 'light' track). Then, about half-way, they hit the current single--"Time Won't Let Me Go" and everything changes. We get to the 'sun' part of the record. And wouldn't ya know it? Edicott starts SINGING!!! And there are soft, acoustic guitars!!! And sensitive lyrics!!!

See, who says that party boy/girl can't change?

Lyrically, The Bravery are...as I like to say "Not Dylan." But this time around the writing is better. The single "Time Won't Let Me Go" name-checks Bryan Adams "Summer of '69" AND S.E. Hinton's novel THE OUTSIDERS (one of my all-time favorite books). Nice. Another great track from the 'sun' half, "Fistful of Sand" puts into words that feeling of struggling to hold onto a loved one...even as they slip through your fingers. Touching boys. The final track, "The Ocean" also hit an emotional nerve with me because it's about being far away from the one you love. Not sure if the song is really that good...of if my personal life is coloring my judgement. Either way, the songs on the second half (tracks 6-12) are all more emotional and less moody. This works on all of them, save one: "Tragedy Bound." Imagine a whiny, 'my-so-called-life' style song about a girl who is (unrealistically) has the saddest life EVER. You can skip that one, I won't tell...

Like their hated enemies/rivals The Killers, The Bravery have dramatically switched sounds on their second record. On SAM'S TOWN, The Killers chose to ape Springsteen...The Bravery have opted for U2. By the end of the record, you'll swear that Edicott is auditioning for a U2 tribute band. Oh well, it's growth...and the guy is trying.

It's a shame that the band's efforts probably won't be rewarded--they've made a fantastic record. The problem is, however, that most people will have written them off as one-hit wonders (with a small hit, that is). The emo-kids who liked the first record are going to be put off by the last/better half of the record that's less club and more quite reflection. The hipsters who would like the record are going to be put off by the faux-hawk/eyeliner the band has had in the past (not to mention the whole 'wearing their influences on their sleeves' thing). Oh well, the single is catchy and straddles the fence between the two sides, Sun and Moon. Maybe that'll be enough to ensure that there is a third record. I hope so, because I'm really excited with the direction The Bravery are headed.

Jason gives THE SUN AND THE MOON a B+

No comments: