Thursday, June 21, 2007

If You Could Love A Color

Okay, time for something that's not Guitar Hero or work related!!!

Well, it sort of is related to my job. See, working nights is all backwards. You go in and it's pitch dark out...then as you leave the sun comes up. Everyday (or nearly everyday) I get to see the sunrise. It's really cool, and something that most people take for granted (the sun coming up). You can go and look up when sunset and sunrise is, the exact time. But let me tell you--there is no such time. It's a gradual, turtle-slow phenomenon. A "blink and you'll miss it" kind of thing.

Which is strange, if you think about it. How the hell do you miss it going from night to daylight? I can't explain it, but it's possible. Like the frog in the water slowly brought to a boil...you don't notice the change because it's both constant and minuscule. Truly a sunrise is a miracle. Don't believe me? Get up early tomorrow and watch it. It's gorgeous, and never ceases to fill me with awe and wonder. And yet, most people don't give it a second thought.

Now, most people who like sunrise (or sunset for that matter) go ga-ga for the brilliant, shimmering yellow and blazing orange. Don't get me wrong, I'm just like everyone else--I think those colors are astounding. But that's not what really impresses me. It's not what I look forward to seeing every morning.

No, for me it's all about the blue. That's the thing people forget about when day turns to night. The sky goes from blue to black. Watching it change back, from black to blue, is the best part of my day. The first color one observes is an electric white. It lingers at the edge of the world (aka "the horizon"). Then what I call "the magic gradient" appears. The range starts where the ground and sky "touch" (where it's white), to a light blue, to a dark blue, to an inky navy color (and the the blackness behind it).

It's that dark blue in between the light blue and the navy black that I adore. If you could love a color, the way you can love a person...then I'd love that color. When I hear the word "blue," that's the color I think of. You could show me a million paint samples (or "swatches" as they are called in the industry) and you'd never show me that particular shade of blue. I've thought many times about bringing in my camera and going up onto the roof of one of the buildings I guard and trying to take a picture of this color. There are two problems though:

1. I don't think it would be possible to capture this color (at least, not with my crappy $200 digital camera)

AND

2. I'm not sure I'd want a photo of this color.

It belongs up in the sky, not in my photo album.

10 comments:

Prac said...

N new comment following your post

Lrgblueeyes said...

That is beutiful

Anonymous said...

I've had trouble catching sunrises and sets with my mom's digicam. There is a whole art to it.

While I like sunrises, I have to admit that I've seen plenty (the desert and ocean ones are especially stunning) but I prefer sunsets. Something about that tangerine blood orange quality before she sinks beneath the emerald covers with a final purple afterglow.

The other downside about sunrises is that I hate getting up for them or staying up for them. Oddly enough, I'll get up naturally for them when I'm camping (see road trip pics at my flickr account) but otherwise, forget it.

Respects,
Murph
Northtown, Missouri

Jason said...

Murph--I have to agree, I hate getting up for sunrise too. For me, though, a sunrise is my sunset (it happens at the end of MY day). I hate working nights...everything is backward.

Anonymous said...

robin's egg blue/faint green--my favorite color, which sounds like the first range of blue you see when night begins to turn to day. You've inspired me to get up and see for myself--soon.

Jason said...

Yes!!! That's exactly what it is!!! I hope you do take the time to get up and see it sometime. It's worth it, it really is. None of us know how long we have here...and there are some things that we miss/take for granted that we really shouldn't.

For me, that color the sky turns makes me feel glad/lucky to be alive. If for no other reason, than to bear witness.

Anonymous said...

Say, Jason. Did you drop a comment about WOF/OOF tickets off at my blog? It wasn't signed and sometimes I have troll trouble.

If you want, I can see what I can do about getting you a couple. No promises per se. I don't know how it works at my new interim job.

Respects,
Murph
Northtown, Missouri

Jason said...

Yes I did Murph. I'm not sure what kind of deal you folks get out there...but if you get one, let me know.

Also, what are you doing out there (please God say you're not running rides). I'm pretty sure you said you were doing security, right? Oh, what about the Zoo? Did that not pan out? That sounded really cool (to me).

Anonymous said...

The Zoo hasn't called back yet though I agree, it'd be a cool gig writer wise.

Apparently WOF/OOF hires their rangers all at once and then doesn't hire anymore until the next year. So yeah, I'll be assigned to a Ride, probably the Patriot.

They had offered me a spot on the train (which would have made a fellow SF writer, Alastair Reynolds, very happy) but I wasn't hot on the idea.

I'll need another part time something to make up some of the difference.

In any case, once I know what the deal on tickets is, I'll let you know.

Respects,
Murph
Northtown, Missouri

Jason said...

The Patriot? Sweet.

It's been a few years since I made it out to WOF (and since I can't swim, a decade or so since I went to OOF). But I really want to go this year. My baby sister just got big enough to ride the "cool" rides...and has developed a taste for 'coasters.

The train would have been cool (but would it have been hot?). The zoo would be even better, though. I hate that about places only hiring once a year. The Saavis Center/Edwards Jones Dome in St. Louis is like that too.

"You either work for us now...or next year." The only way they can do that is by over-hiring. What a crock of shite.