Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Bang! Bang! or "Is My Life Worth $173?"

What a night. I have three nights (and one day shift) left and then I’m done. That’s all I have left. You’d think I could just have a nice, easy last few days. Think again. I got to work on time, relieved the evening shift guard—the night began like any other. I made my first preliminary round of the property, everything was fine. I went up to my corner office and set up my laptop. I watched BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (a great cheesy B-movie from the ‘80s staring Kurt Russell). Once that was over I went out again and made a round. Then I got back to my office and started LORD OF WAR (a Nicholas Cage flick about a gun-runner). I’d never seen it before, but I like Cage…and the price was right ($6.99). Anyway, about ½ way through the movie—art imitated life. I stopped the movie and went to do a round. I was leaving one of my office buildings when two cars barreled down the street that runs between two of the buildings I guard. Before I knew what was happening a guy (I’m assuming it was a guy) in the first car unloaded about three rounds from 9mm handgun (I know it was a 9mm because I found the spent shells). Someone in the second car squeezed off two rounds…then they were both gone.

And just like that, my quiet night was over. I don’t think they saw me (thank God), but it didn’t matter. I was about twenty feet away from these assholes…and that was far too close. I radioed my boss and he came out. We collected shell casings and I wrote a one page “this-is-what-happened” type report. Like the other shooting I was involved in, the police were not notified—there is no point. I didn’t get the plate numbers, I have only a sketchy idea of what the cars looked like, I have no description of the shooters, etc.

This is the second shooting in as many days in my area. The other was near by at another post that's about a street over on Southwest Boulevard (where I used to work three years and a lifetime ago). We think there is some sort of turf war going on in our neighborhood. Now I have to decide—do I stay or do I go? I have three overnight shifts down here…I did the math, if I work those three shifts and my day overtime shift I’ll make $173. Is that enough to risk getting shot? My boss could see the wheels turning in my head; he was all but begging me to stay. “Don’t call off; come in for the rest of the week…I’ll go real easy on you…”

I don’t know what to do. On one hand, I want to keep my word. I said I was going to work until the 10th of the month. If I quit now, I’m basically not keeping my word. I also need the money. On the other hand…I like living. And I may not have much of a life, but it sure as hell worth more than $173. I feel really bad for whoever takes my shift over. I haven’t really had too many problems down here this summer. Sure, there was gunfire on the Fourth of July…but that was the “friendlier”/Argentinean kind. Ten-fifty an hour isn’t enough for me to put my life on the line. Not by a long shot.

Am I a coward? Am I just looking for an excuse to quit this fucking job?

10 comments:

Lrgblueeyes said...

I say quit, I dont want you to get hurt or worse. There are tons of stuff you could get done before the move then and you would have some well desearved time off. We could move in early and snuggle together too!!! I love you.


If you do stay don't do anymore rounds, Just stay in the buildings and watch movies or sleep. Also, if your staying, this would be a good time to ask about that sign on bonus.

Jimu said...

ooh I agree with leah.. your boss wants you to stay. now would be the perfect time to ask about said bonus. (and I agree. no more rounds)

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I would probably quit, but where is Murph when you need him.

As I read this post, a time when art imitated my life came to mind. Keith & I had allowed the kids to select a film we would go to one Sunday afternoon. The four of them settled on "Scary Movied". We bought our popcorn and settled in. Shortly after the opening bathroom scene, Keith stepped out of the auditorium--I thought to visit the men's room.

When he didn't return after half an hour, I went looking for him. I bribed a little boy in the lobby to go into the men's room stalls to look for him. Nada.

Finally, I find him out in the parking lot, waiting for us in our vehicle. He had decided the film was too graphic for his tastes--but he let the rest of us continue to watch! Aaaargh!

Go ask Murph--

Jason said...

Well everybody...I've thought about it--and me and Leah sure could use the money (even if $173 isn't really all that much). But you since you can't spend money when you're dead I plan on laying low inside. I know I should probably continue to do exterior rounds...but I'm not.

I'm taking my "Complete Works of Shakespeare" book with me...I need to brush up before the semester starts.

(And I was hoping Murphy would post about this before tonight too Terri...oh well...still I wonder what he would think/say).

Dave said...

See, this is exactly the thing I was talking about when I made up my rule, "Never take a job where you have a reasonable chance of getting shot at". It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

That being said, two weeks notice would need to have been given already, and they're not going to fire you for goofing off, so holing up and sticking it out is close-to-honorable.

Jason said...

Yeah, I'm working the last shift tonight...I suck at math, I figured that I was actually going to be out $300 or so bucks if I skipped out.

Needless to say, this is what I did last night:

1. Drank Tea
2. Ate Ice Cream (I found in executive fridge)
3. Watched: HOT FUZZ, SIDEWAYS, and DIRTY HARRY.

Gee, it's so hard to be me.

Lrgblueeyes said...

And got paid going it

Anonymous said...

Big Trouble in Little China ROCKS! Now, you will demonstrate your true movie geekness if you know what Remo Williams, the Adventure Beings is.

Per the shootings:

Terri, Murph don't have no gun. Murph never had a gun at his last job. And even if I did and chose to actually SHOOT someone with it in the Downtown KC Area, the next person you shoot at better be yourself because Al Brooks and his gang will have your nuts in sack by High Noon next day.

That is also why I don't live in the Kansas City, Missouri part of the Metro area. I could probably pop someone in self defense in Northtown (if I had more than a toy phaser and a practice fencing foil) and not end up on KCTV-5.

That, Jason, is why I don't work for your employer anymore. The chances of getting shot didn't bother me near as much as the fact that I:

A. Didn't have body armor.
B. Didn't have a weapon with which to retort.
C. Wasn't getting paid enough to get perforated by some jerk in Downtown KCMO.

That is why I got a job at a roller coaster.

Umm, which is also why I'm a little slow getting to this. Partly work and partly having my own firefight (a needless one that I should quit having) elsewhere on the internet.

Respects,
Murph
Northtown, Missouri

Jimu said...

ah but what about "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"?

and yes I saw the remo williams one. as I remember there was a cheesy training scene in new york?

Anonymous said...

Are you still alive? The suspense is killing me?