Monday, August 27, 2007

Three (four?) days of Rutabaga Fries

That's right, I've been cooking again...



Actually I pretty much do all the cooking here at the Limemonkey Ranch these days (not complaining, I like it...just stating a fact). A few weeks ago me and Leah went to a local bookstore and browsed the discount cookbooks. I picked up a book by this guy Chef Robert "Bobo" Surles...it was a cookbook for kids called CHEF BOBO'S GOOD FOOD COOKBOOK: SMART RECIPES FOR HAPPY, HEALTHY KIDS. Since I'm cooking for two (very big) kids, I got the book. I've never heard of him before, but Chef Bobo is sorta famous. He works in a trendy NYC private school, his goal in life is to get kids to eat healthier, more natural foods. Leah teased me about the book, but it actually is very good.

The first thing I knew we had to try was the Rutabaga Fries. It sounded weird (I didn't even know what a rutabaga looked like) but the picture LOOKED like fries. And Chef Bobo proclaimed them to be good. So last night, at the grocery store, I hunted for rutabagas. I found them in a corner of the produce section, cordoned off with all the other strange, "untouchable" veggies no one knows what to do with. Most young people today don't know what beets or sweet potatoes are...let alone a rutabaga. What a sad state. Anyway, I bought three and took them home. I cooked up two cheeseburgers for me and Leah...and on the side we had rutabaga fries.

There was several problems, though. First off, I used too much spice to enliven what I thought would be a tasteless root. Leah and I had trouble with all the ground red pepper (a spice that I used to be able to eat by the spoonful when I was smoking...now that I'm not I'm again susceptible to it's powers) that I used. Secondly, I didn't let them cook long enough. I had also used too much oil, which was sizzling loudly in the oven leading me to believe they were done. They weren't. So after a few bites, I loaded them back up into the oven and tried again. This time some came out kinda burnt.

Luckily, even burned these things are good. And since I didn't know how far one rutabaga would go--I still had two left over. So tonight, along with my mushroom minute steak...we had rutabaga fries. These were less seasoned (no red pepper) and not swimming in oil. Still, they weren't all the way done in places (though their exteriors were mostly brownish-black). Thus, I have figured out the problem--I am slicing them too thin. I need to make rutabaga STEAK fries...not thin STRING fries. Tonight's were MUCH better, but I still see room for improvement.

Thankfully I have one and a half rutabagas left, so tomorrow we'll see if I can't get it right!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to try this. My latest food/drink discovery is something called horchata. Have you ever tried this drink? Looks like milk--tastes like ambrosia. It's rice water, flavored with almond, lime, and cinnamon. Very refreshing.

And I notice that all the "working men" in the local Mexican buffet we patronize drink it with their jalapenos.

Jason said...

Wow that sounds good, where do you get it? I'm assuming a Mexican grocery store would have such an item...

Eternal Sunshine of Katie's Mind said...

I've never in my life consumed a rutabaga, but those fries look damn good! You should make some for me sometime. Are they good with ketchup?

Jason said...

I'd never had one either, but they're actually pretty good. I linked to the recipe, and it's pretty easy (after all, I can do it) so you should give it a try sometime.

YES...they're good w/Ketchup (or Catsup, however you prefer).