Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Job Hunt

Well yesterday it began: the job hunt. I hate having to look for work, I feel like a beggar. Always have, always will. Back in the old days, if you went into a place you could ask: "Are you guys hiring?" And they would respond with either a "Yes" or a "No." Today, because of stupid lawyers (or whatever) they give you this line: "We're always accepting applications."

Uh...okay, but that's not what I asked. So, I usually fill out an application and it's always a BIG fat waste of time. Today I'm going to Barnes and Noble, and I just know that this is what is going to happen.

I applied at three places yesterday (one was Borders and Best Buy...two place I always apply at every time I need a job--neither has ever given me a job). I also applied to one of the arenas out here (which would be cool). Today I went on my University's website and found a semi-promising job lead (I emailed my resume, which is actually pretty good looking, if I may say so myself).

I also have this number I have no faith in, but am so curious that I have to call it. About a month ago this guy called my parents house and left me a message offering a job in St. Louis! I called the guy back and it sounds really suspicious (like, how did he get my number? A third party (I think UMSL) sold it to him). The only other job offer I got unsolicited via the phone was from the fucking Army (and I think we all know how desperate they are/how crappy that job is). So clearly this isn't a job I would want...but I am intrigued. So I'll bite.

Basically I'm only slightly optimistic...I'll keep you all posted.

4 comments:

Dave said...

I've got a couple leads stored up around here; One in an inbound call center, and one at the TSA. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll ask the appropriate folks for contact info.

Jason said...

Hey thanks! I just got off the phone with your brother and I told him about my interview tomorrow at Borders! Maybe this will be the time they finally hire me...

I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you ought to try for something really different--say something at the local public radio station. That could evolve into something like KC's Fish Fry.

Jason said...

The Fish Fry! Is that still on? Me and my mom used to love listening to that...man, it's been years since I thought about that.

I'd love to get into radio (I *heart* music). BUT, radio is a dying media...

Still, it's something to think about. I might not get the bookstore job--but even if I do I plan to keep looking.