Saturday, August 25, 2007

If I had $300 million...I wouldn't tell you (sorry)

Tonight is the big $300 million POWERBALL drawing...me and Leah bought a ticket (how can you not when the prize gets so large?). We sat in bed and talked about what we'd do if we won (which is really the reason I play...just to be able to "what-if"). The conversation was actually not as much fun as it used to be. We both realized that if we won such a large amount of money, we'd have to keep it a secret. I hate to say it, but we both know a number of people who would probably try and hit us up for money.



I don't mind helping people, especially those that I know and love...but several of these people are the sort that have been getting a lot of help for too long. I fear this money would only insight jealousy among many of our friends, too. I don't blame them. I mean, me and Leah are doing okay...but we're still struggling along. If we had a friend who could buy nearly anything--we'd be a little jealous.

So we decided that we'd live (close) to our current means, and not tell a soul that we'd won (save the lawyer/accountant that we'd have to hire). This, of course, would mean that SOME lies would have to be told. Leah suggested that we could have a child sooner, and that she could go to Grad school while I took care of the little tyke and wrote (or tried to write). But I know that this would appear very suspicious to our friends and family ("your girl is about to have a baby!! Why don't you have a job?"). Leah also expressed a desire to add a million (or so) to the wedding fund. This too would arouse suspicion. Leah suggested that we could inform "some" people but not "all" people. Well this wouldn't work...everyone knows that "people" have a habit of talking.



And even if we didn't tell a soul, Leah and I aren't know for our ability to keep a secret (or our ability NOT to buy people gifts). Plus, if I won the lotto, one of the first things I'd want to do is go off and spend a month in Hawaii (which would arouse some suspicion as well). So with all these things in mind, I wanted to tear up our ticket. Leah didn't let me...but I don't think I'll be playing anymore, no matter how big the pot gets. The troubles that much money could remedy are outnumbered by the problems it would inherently create. And who needs that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never once bought a lottery ticket. Years ago when I was a truly poor single parent and filling my kids up with Ramen and generic Macaroni and Cheese, I would frequently notice those who bought their groceries with food stamps. At the time, they were given coins in change for the stamps and would turn around and purchase lottery tickets with the change. It seemed so sad to me--the lottery takes advantage of people who can least afford it.

On the other side, I work with a woman who DID win a sizable lottery. She quit her legal secretary job and returned to school--to become a creative writing instructor!

Jason said...

Wow, I've never known anyone who actually knew someone who won the lotto. Interesting that she chose to go back to school (if I won, I'd probably quit school--another reason to quit playing).

I used to work with a bunch of guys at Uni-Guard who would spend every penny they earned at the river boats...it's upsetting.

I think grand sums of money is slowly entering the "no thanks" pile right next to "fame." The older I get, the more I see there is no quick fix to your life. And even if there was, if you "fixed" your life...would it still be yours?