Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Who Knew ________ Could be such a headache?

Insert: Kitchen Table into the blank.



We needed a kitchen table/chairs set. Simple, right? I could write a forty-two page essay of the hell we had to go through to get our kitchen table. I'm going to be honest with you--I'm too lazy to write it all out...and it would probably only interest a small portion of you. Needless to say, we had a hell of a time getting a stupid kitchen table.

There a really nice one at World Market (but it was WAAAAY too pricey). So we ended up at K-mart (yes, apparently they still exist). Let me just say that the old adage of: "you get what you pay for" is true. We spent $130 and let me tell you...the set is worth every PENNY of that. Leah spent a frustrating hour/two hours putting it all together...or I should say...most of it together (by the way, I let her do it because between the two of us, she is the "handy" on. She has a tool box and everything! While she was assembling it...I was cooking dinner. Talka about a role reversal). It came with a table and four chairs, but only three chairs could be assembled. Why? Because two really big chunks of wood just kinda fell out of the last chair. The table is really sturdy/good. Two of the chairs are trustworthy (the other...not so much). Leah has already cannibalized the unused fourth chair parts for several non-furniture related projects.

Sure, we could have returned the damn thing...that might seem like an option...but you weren't there for the horrors involved in getting this damn thing (i.e. returning it wasn't really an option). Anyway, our place is so small we really don't have the room for all these extra chairs anyway (plus we have two wood chairs in the study that could be used for dinning purposes).

I'm finding that the most basic things are often the most complicated:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that projects like this can be a pain in the butt. One Christmas, Keith & I gave the kids a brand new computer/printer AND desk. We set out about midnight Christmas Eve putting the desk (3 drawers and several shelves) together. We had poured ourselves significant libations of Christmas cheer and at 6:30 a.m., we realized that we had placed a significant piece backwards! Aaargh--we never did correct the situation and that particular computer is long gone.

It looks great. Leah did a nice job.

Jason said...

Once I grew up, my parents told me and my sister many stories very similar to that one. Part of me is sad my kids are going to be Jewish...I'll never get to experiance that "joy."

Then again, after reading your comment...maybe I'm dodging a really BIG bullet.

Lrgblueeyes said...

Oh don't worry Hanukkah has eight crazy night.

Jason said...

8 Crazy Nights! Wonderful...8 nights of insanity, and I thought I was dodging a bullet!