Thursday, August 16, 2007

Interview #1

Well I had my "big" interview at Borders today...ugh...

I really hate interviews. For one thing, I don't feel that the questions are fair. I also think the questions are stupid.

"How do you take constructive criticism?" Is okay, but as a follow up, "What if the criticism directed your way was totally wrong?" (I guess she meant, what if I knew whoever talking to me was waaay wrong in their criticism). How the hell do you respond to that (and land the job?). All the questions were pretty bogus...

"What was the biggest accomplishment you've ever made...while in a group." Uh...what groups? I said some bullshit, oh and I mentioned that my team was 1989 T-Ball Champions! (That's right Leah, I went there). So basically, I did a pretty shitty job trying to get a job. My first interview was good...but I can only sustain so much bullshit/fake-ness for so long. What's worse is my second interview was more important, and that lady was REALLY, REALLY, REALLY FAKE. Oh man...she was so fake that I had trouble telling how things were going.

Plus the job itself sounds pretty bad. Basically, I'm going to be a cashier. Six hour shifts 6:00pm to midnight (which is late, but still possible for me to do). Anyway, I really hope that I get another bite--soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just wish you could call them on the "professional" fakery and just have a simple conversation?

Jason said...

I've yet to have an interview that is just a simple conversation. Everytime I'm hired I think "what did I do/say this time?" The truth is, I very rarely do anything different...it really does depend on the interviewer and who I'm up against.

That said, the more I think about it...the less I want to work as a cashier (even if it is at a mega-bookstore). I hope the arena or printer jobs come through.

The search continues (I'm not too worried, I got my last Uni-Guard check today--it was a big one (I worked 119 hours on it).