Thursday, November 01, 2007

NaNoWriMo Day 1 Wrap-Up

Well I did it...and then some. My overall word count for today was a decent 1,741 words. I'm about 3% of the way towards the goal of 50,000 words. Today was a day of firsts. I took my laptop to school, with the idea of using the time I have after class to write. My new laptop didn't come with a carrying case...so I just used my backpack. Ugh. Not the best idea.

The backpack I use is fine for books...not so much for my laptop. My bag was HEAVY! I kept worrying that my straps were going to break (I had this terrible vision of my laptop breaking on the concrete in the crosswalk...with car running over it...over and over...).

I went to the library, and got myself online (took a few seconds, our school has a brand new wireless system so I had to play with it a bit). Once I had that settled, I checked my email and then got ready to write. Then this group of co-eds came in...and set up adjacent next to me. They loudly tried to learn some rather complex (sounding) mathematics. So I got out my earphones and listened to some music (to help drown them out).

I'm not like most people, who can write with music. Lyrics distract me too much while I'm trying to write...so I listened to the only instrumental stuff I had on my laptop--Dick Dale's Greatest Hits (a few songs have words, but most of it is just guitar licks). I took a break for lunch after I worked an hour and a half straight. Then I came home, made dinner and watched ER with Leah. Then I sat down and wrote for another half hour--I could have kept going but I didn't want to over do it my first day. Tomorrow is my day off (from school) so I should be able to get a lot more writing done.

I'm excited and hopelessly optimistic.

No comments: